TERMS OF REFERENCE:
Mentorship & Training Consultant
1. Background of the Project
Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) through its support to Pangea Trust launched a Diaspora fundraising project that seeks to increase deployment of diaspora remittances and networks to provide investment capital to Kenyan MSMEs and startups. The process requires creation of the conditions necessary for safe and seamless movement of capital and other resources from the diaspora to viable MSMEs and promising start-ups in a formal and structured manner.
Kenya’s diaspora remittances in the year 2019 were estimated to be approximately USD 2.855 Billion, a significant amount, by any standards. While the amount of inflows and their countries of origin are well documented and well known, there appears to be no specific studies and data in the public domain on the uses to which the remittances are put, locally. The widely held view, however, is that such remittances are primarily directed at consumption and social support, which is not sustainable. The sums committed to investment, moreover, tend to be more destined for personal or family development with only a few resources set aside for business investment. Even then, diaspora investors are known to face challenges relating to dearth of information on viable investments and the little information available is often insufficient to prevent losses due to lack of proper due diligence, professional services and investment appraisal because of unstructured engagement.
In partnership with SIDA, diaspora influencers and other stakeholders, Pangea will use a comprehensive, coherent and integrated approach to achieve the project’s key objectives of activating diaspora remittances and networks as a sustainable source of financing and capital for MSMEs and start-ups in Africa generally and specifically in Kenya, Ethiopia and Somalia.
To activate diaspora remittances and networks as a sustainable source of financing and capital for start-ups and MSMEs in Kenya to drive job creation and enhance entrepreneurial capacity and opportunities
The above objective is to be achieved through innovative
approaches beyond today’s development collaboration. This will include innovative financing solutions such as diaspora fund, Matching fund, challenge fund, accelerator fund guarantee fund etc with catalytic effect to support SMEs and startups to create sustainable jobs.
3. Purpose of the Assignment
The Contractor is hired to support the Pangea Connect Investment readiness program with mentoring and training sessions to allocated business entrepreneurs and to prepare the mentees to become ready to approach potential investors. The services are to be delivered from January 2022 to March 2022.
As part of Pangea Trust’s investment management processes, there are a number of tools that are used to collect and assess related data from investees. The information received is reviewed as part of Pangea Trust’s risk management strategies.
The consultant will assist in the following activities for all Pangea Connect Startups::
● Diagnosing the investees businesses by looking at the various areas of gap and supporting with their key growth milestones to be achieved by the end of Q1 and as well as the program in February
● Deliver professional and high quality standard training to the entrepreneurs based on their needs assessment in areas such as business analytics, Fundraising support, Business Modeling, Marketing, Pitching and Storytelling, Sales strategies, Modern technologies.
● Increase productivity and efficiency of the startups
● Support startup development and growth by improving necessary knowledge and business skills of the startups to perform their roles effectively
● Design a tailored support plan for the mentee(s) that will work as a guide for the mentorship process to ensure that the business of the entrepreneurs is evolving in the right way
● Facilitate contacts, introductions, and networking, useful for the mentee.
● Coordinate and follow-up sessions to execute the support plan with your mentee(s).
● The consultant will work closely with the program managers of The Program to:
○ Collect and analyze trainee evaluation forms from trainees and communicate results to PT after each training has been completed.
○ Deliver report to PT after each mentoring session that identifies the main topics discussed
○ Carry out any other responsibility as assigned
The Consultancy will entail both virtual sessions with the startups.
● Delivery of impactful training and mentorship sessions for the cohort.
● High quality session materials and reports.
● Sending a summary evaluation of any pre and post training assessment forms submitted by trainees
6. Consultant’s Profile
The consultant should have the following:
● A University degree in related field
● Knowledge of the Business development tool and processes for startups.
● Ability to handle sensitive information in an appropriate manner, including maintaining high levels of confidentiality.
● IT skills inclusive of MS Office, excel spreadsheets and other financial accounting software
● Excellent team spirit, presentation and interpersonal skills;
● Strong sense of integrity and continuous demonstration of honesty, transparency and accountability
● Excellent writing skills, command of written and spoken English including ability to document processes and prepare review findings.
● Must be self-confident and willing to learn
● Experience taking initiative, with a proactive and problem- solving attitude.
● Prioritize work to meet goals and objectives within the acceptable deadlines.
● An understanding of feminism and commitment to social justice, women’s rights and social change in Africa
● Demonstrate commitment to Pangea Trust’s values of feminist leadership, accountability, diversity, respect and solidarity.
● Be coming in from Kenya, Ethiopia or Somalia.
7. Duration of the Assignment
December 2021 – February 2022.
How do you apply?
Share your profile highlighting previous work experience in startup mentoring and training, samples of the work done in the past in similar areas such as to email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org (cc) with the subject line “ Mentorship and Training – Country of work”
Application deadline Feb 8th
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The assignment is for a duration of 3 months and the Consultant will work 2-3 days in a week.
“This document has been financed by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, Sida. Responsibility for its contents rests with the Pangea Trust.”